Choose Affordable Concrete with Superior Heat Reflectivity and Slip Resistance
Choosing the right material for your pool deck requires a comparison based on durability, longevity, versatility, and style preferences. Concrete comes in myriad color options, and you can stamp poured concrete to look like wood, stone, and other natural materials. At BCP Concrete, Inc., we can help you design the perfect hardscape for your pool area. Learn more about the advantages of this timeless material to understand why you should use concrete for your pool deck.
How Does Concrete Compare to Other Pool Deck Materials?
There are many benefits of choosing concrete over stone, pressure treated wood, asphalt, and composite materials. It’s easier to customize concrete and it’s an affordable, longer lasting alternative to composite or wood. If you love the look of natural stone, you’ll appreciate how concrete can give the same look without the inconsistency and uneven surfaces.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should use concrete for your pool deck:
- Better quality: Concrete has a standard consistency that you can’t count on in natural materials, such as wood and stone. It’s uniform and weather resistant. For example, natural stone has flaws, but you can achieve the same patterns without the defects using concrete.
- Customized pool deck: This is another good reason why you should choose concrete for your pool deck. Select from stains and colors in a rainbow of hues, then add texture through stamping, brushing, and other techniques that are unique to concrete.
- Futuristic or modern designs: Create a traditional or trendy look that matches your home’s exterior. BCP Concrete, Inc. is a top-rated contractor for pool and patio decks.
- Your pool deck surface will not warp or splinter: Some composite decks become slippery as they age, much like natural wood. Concrete will neither splinter nor warp, and it won’t face the type of wear and tear that creates slippery surfaces.
- More affordable: You can save money on labor and materials with concrete, which is easy to mix and pour.
Why Is Concrete Better than Wood for Pool Decks?
Concrete resists degradation and the ravages of time better than pressure treated wood. You end up with a safer, far more durable pool deck. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about the health effects of exposure to the chemicals commonly used to treat pressurized wood.
Is Concrete Safer than Other Materials?
For added safety, your pool deck should have some texture to help prevent slips and falls. Tile, some natural stone, and even high-quality composite decking like Trex can become very slippery when wet. However, textured concrete provides just the right traction to enhance safety around the pool. Some of our most popular textures include brushed concrete and stamped concrete patterns. You can also consider adding exposed aggregate for a more natural appearance and built in texture.
Is Concrete Naturally Heat Reflective?
Want another great reason why you should use concrete for your pool deck? Asphalt and some other pool deck materials absorb heat and become hot. This is not ideal for swimmers who want to enjoy the poolside and walk around barefoot. Concrete reflects solar radiation and decorative patterns facilitate this process by increasing the surface area. Adding lighter stains may increase reflectivity to help keep your toes cool when you hang out on the deck.
Avoid darker materials, such as tile and bricks in favor of lighter materials, such as concrete. If you add a stain or color to your concrete pool surround, choose a lighter shade for improved heat reflectivity.
Find out more about why you should consider using concrete for your pool deck. Contact BCP Concrete online or call 925-462-6456 today for a free estimate.